Anyone under the age of 18 may join as a Junior Firefighter. Junior firefighters can train with us and help in various ways around the department. Junior Firefighters above the age of 16 can help on scene with a parent or legal guardian in reserved and controlled non-emergency capacity.
Serving your community is a great way to bond as a family while doing something good!
There are only a few requirements to join the fire department:
- Desire to serve your community
- Age 18 or 16 with a parent
- High School Diploma\GED or working on them
- Background and Drug Screening
- Residence in coverage area is preferred, but can be waived
We offer all the training you need to become a firefighter. Including courses at the Alabama Fire College and other accredited programs.
To become a Certified Volunteer Firefighter you must complete the 160 hours Firefighter 1 Course through the Alabama Fire College. We offer several options in the county to provide for this, or you could attend the course in Tuscaloosa, AL.
Junior Firefighters are limited to non-emergency roles, but they are allowed to do most training and help on scene within parameters to prepare them for future roles. We also offer special training for junior members wanting to pursue a career in Fire or EMS Fields.
Volunteers are just that volunteers. Even the very top level members of our department are “unpaid.”
OK, so what’s in it for me?
- Our biggest offering is a sense of pride and belonging. Knowing that you make a difference in your community and for your family and friends
- Security in knowing that if something happens you or someone else will be there to help
- Gateway for paid service and jobs in the Fire and EMS fields
- Insurance coverage
- Tuition Assistance
- First Responder Discounts
- Specialized Training and Valuable Skills Development
We have a job for everyone! Here are just a few ideas:
- Fire Suppression
- Emergency Medical Services
- Search and Rescue
- Traffic Incident Management
- Fire and Life Safety Educator
- Public Information and Education
- Inspections and Pre-Incident Planning
- Public Relations
- Events Coordinator
- Safety Officer
Absolutely, we encourage visits. Come join us Tuesday nights at 7pm, or anytime you see us there. If we are not on a call we would be happy to show you around.
We love visits. Let us know when you would like to visit and we will do our best to accommodate.
We offer different programs for scouting, church groups, schools, home school groups, sports teams, even adult groups.
We can setup a general visit with a tour or we can cater it to your needs. For example scouting groups working on rank or badge requirements, we can setup demonstrations, training, Q&A, and more.
We also offer fire and life safety courses for those interested.
For more information: